Monday, 24 December 2007

The Devil Finds Work for Idle Hands

I was speaking to a friend I met at the bookshop. He shared his many trekking adventures in the Himalayas and in South America. He says he's planning another trip shortly. I asked him where he was living at the moment and he said he didn't have a fixed abode. He said after taking early retirement, and he sold his property, he's been staying with his brother. He's now got the freedom to travel and enjoy what he loves doing though he's mindful that he needs to decide what part of the UK he wants to live.

You would think that now my friend has the space to explore what he loves doing he would be happy. He said sometimes when he wakes up late, he feels guilty because he believes he shouldn't be in bed. He also feels guilty for being able to do what he likes which he shouldn't be doing. I told him there were too many "shoulds" in his vocabulary. Why feel guilty about following his joy? I'm not surprised my friend feels guilty though - he was a lawyer.

Seriously, the problem with having all that free time is you have to do something constructive with it otherwise, boredom, guilt, depression and all sorts of judgments set in. In other words, the devil finds work for idle hands.

As I see it, there is no such thing as "free time." Every moment is filled to capacity with love. It's a matter of being open to the limitless ways love is expressed. Sometimes it involves expressing what I love doing; sometimes it's about sharing what I love with others; other times it's about sharing another's joy like my friend was doing at the bookshop. We plan to meet up soon to share more of the Joy that we are.

There is no room for any "devil" when I'm busy being Love.

Enocia

Related articles: In Joy There is No Fear; Everything Has a Purpose; Love Dispels Anxieties; Immortality; DIY (Do It Yourself); Guilt Complex