Friday, 21 December 2007

Love-Hate Relationships

On the bus a woman beside me was chatting on her mobile phone. Something she said attracted my attention and I wanted to discuss it with her. When she finished her conversation I hesitated for a moment before asking her.

What is the etiquette these days about mobile phone conversations? To ask her about what she's been discussing suggests that I've been eavesdropping her conversation. Well sod this for a game of soldiers, I'm going to ask anyway!

"Excuse me?" I said.

The lady had her earplugs on and couldn't hear me so I prodded her.

"Excuse me? I heard you mention Marmite and Cheddar. That's quite an interesting combination. What is it exactly?"

"You know they have these cheese bites?"

"Yeah."

"Well, Sainsbury’s is doing Cheddar bites with Marmite. My mother bought some the other day and I tried some."

"Did you like it?"

"Yes, I did actually. Then again, I like Marmite."

"Yes, Marmite is one of those things that you either love or hate," I said. "I like Marmite."

The man sitting in front of me grimaced.

"I take it you don't like Marmite then?" I said.

"No, I can't stand it."

"I would love to try out this Marmite and Cheddar bites," I said to the woman.

"You should. I don't know if it's only out for the Christmas season though."

"I like Marmite on toast with boiled egg," I said.

"I won't be coming round your place for dinner then," the man opposite me chuckled.

"Well, I hope you receive Marmite as your Christmas pressie," I grinned at him.

"Hmmm, I've never tried Marmite with boiled egg," my fellow Marmite lover said. "I like Marmite and toast with grated cheese."

"I haven't tried that but it sounds interesting."

"I heard someone had Marmite and Houmous. I didn't like the sound of that," my friend said.

"It doesn't sound like a combination I would like either, but it's worth a try," I said. "Have you ever drank it? I did as a child but I didn't like it as it was too strong."

"Yes, it's like drinking Bovril. I don't like it that way either."

I noticed the bus was approaching my stop. "Well thank you for your tip. I'll look out for it."

"You're welcome."

For anyone not familiar with Marmite it is a food spread made from yeast extract. It is quite strong and it's something that you either grow to love or you hate. I like the fact that the company capitalises on people's love-hate relationships with Marmite and use it on their ad campaigns. I didn't like Marmite at first but I grew to like it. I don't have it that often though. The last time I had some was about two years ago. But when I do, I always enjoy it. There is the Aussie version called Vegemite which I can't stand. In fact, I hate Vegemite!

Just as well I don't pay much attention to mobile phone conversation etiquette or I would miss out on all those lovely tips from fellow travellers.

Wishing you love and light whether you are a fan of Marmite or not.

Enocia

Related articles: I am into Everything; Ask and You Will Receive; What a Treat!; Loving What I Love

ps: In case you're wondering, none of the above companies have paid me to promote their products. I'm just doing it because it's the season of goodwill. ;-)