Saturday, 19 January 2008

Constructive Criticism

I don't like giving out criticism because it feels to me like I'm not being accepting of all aspects of Self; or I'm attacking myself. However, I felt the need to give a constructive criticism today.

In How to Avoid Malfunctions, I mentioned a woman I had observed in the library who, when she types, bashes really hard on the keyboard. At the time I had asked to be moved away from her as I had found her very distracting. Another guy, who is a regular user, has also noticed how loud she types.

Today in the library she was allocated a computer right next to me and she was bashing so hard next to me I could feel the desk vibrating. At first I blessed her with love. Then I tried to focus on my work but for some reason I couldn't switch off. After a while I had to say something.

"Excuse me," I said. "I don't know if you're aware of this, but I find your typing very distracting."

"Oh, I'm sorry," she looked hurt, "but I don't know how else to type."

"I'm not trying to tell you how to type, but the keys are already very sensitive and you don't need to press them so hard," I said.

"I'm doing my best," she said.

That really touched me.

"It's OK, I understand," I reached out and stroked her arm. "Did you learn to type on a manual typewriter?"

"Yes I did."

"I knew it! You had to bash really hard on the keys for them to work, right?"

She nodded.

"I learned on a computer where the keys are very sensitive."

"Yes, the light fingered approach," she smiled. "I'll try to be gentle, OK?"

I smiled and went back to work. I noticed she was now a lot quieter. I also noticed that she was watching how I typed.

As she was leaving she said to me, "Thanks for bringing my typing to my attention. Now it makes sense why the keys sometimes get stuck while I'm typing."

"You're welcome," I smiled. "Have a lovely weekend!"

"You too."

Phew! I'm so glad my friend didn't take my constructive criticism personally.

Enocia

Related articles: How to Avoid Malfunctions; All is One - A Reminder; The Power of Blessing; Cut to the Chase - Part 2; Correction! I Only Want to Love and Be Love