Tuesday, 29 January 2008

Counting My Blessings

Many years ago I met this guy at a bookshop. Over the years I've been seeing him around at various bookshops. We usually chat about how blessed we are to be able to sit and read in bookshops; to be able to walk the streets without fear; to have such an excellent transport system in London; to have lovely parks and galleries to explore; to be in perfect health; and to have friends to share life with.

Speaking of bookshops, I was sitting in one yesterday evening. I find bookshops are a great place to relax, even if I'm not reading. At the time they were playing songs from Michael Jackson's albums "Thriller" and "Off the Wall." I hadn't heard those songs in years. I used to have both albums. At one time I couldn't go to sleep without listening to the "Off the Wall" album. What a talented musician! I was so grateful to the bookshop for taking me on a lovely trip down memory lane.

Soon an elderly-looking woman appeared. The only space available was the space between me and this man. Although it was a tight squeeze, I didn't mind sharing the sofa. When I smelled the overwhelming pungent smell of urine coming from the woman, bless her heart, I wanted to swap seats, but they were all occupied. I put out a thought that I wanted more space. After a while I was compelled to look to the other side of the room where I spotted a vacant chair and I grabbed it.

On my way home, all my buses arrived when I wanted them and I was able to travel in comfort.

When I was knee-high to a grasshopper, I was taught this prayer:

Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.
Source

That about covers it. Amen.

Enocia

Related articles: Bring It On!; I Just Need Some Space!