Wednesday, 23 January 2008

The Temple of God

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 1 Corinthians 3: 16

Last night I met up with a friend and he took me to the local cafe for tea and cakes. One of the many ideas we discussed was the notion of contagion. My friend said just as Love is contagious, so is fear. Thus, one person can influence everyone on a very large scale on a positive or a negative way. After our tea, I joined him and a few friends to listen to a talk on the Internet called Reversing Decline in Health and Living, which was very interesting.

On our way home, my friend and I shared our experiences of Love in action. He told me that once he had to meet up with some friends who were moving abroad. On the day he was meant to meet up he didn't feel very well and yet he wanted to spend the evening with them . He managed to cycle several miles to their house. As soon as he arrived at their place, he felt better. The strange thing was as soon as my friend left his friends' place, he was sick again. My friend learned later that his friends had prayed for the evening to go well using Truth principles. Thus, when my friend had entered that atmosphere of Love, he had been influenced which had affected his body.

When my friend and I parted company, I pondered over his experience during my bus journey. I was reminded of the "healing temple" in Baird T Spalding's written accounts about his experiences with some ascended masters during the beginning of last century.

"Located in this village was The Healing Temple. It is claimed that only words of Life, Love, and Peace have been given expression in this temple since its erection, and the vibrations are so potent that nearly all who pass through the temple are instantly healed. It is also claimed the words of Life, Love, and Peace have been used and sent out so long from this temple and the vibrations emanating from them are so strong that, should words of inharmony and imperfection be used at any time, they would have no power. We were told that this is an illustration of what takes place in man. If he would practice sending forth words of Life, Love, Harmony, Peace, and Perfection he would in a short time not be able to utter an inharmonious word. We attempted to use inharmonious words and found in each instance that we could not even utter them." The Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East - Volume 1

So when my friend went to dinner at his friends' house, he was actually in their "Healing Temple" which dissolved disharmonious thoughts and beliefs. It's interesting though that my friend's healing only lasted as long as his visit.

While one can transform one's home into a healing temple, I believe I can do the same with my own consciousness by realising Love's ever presence. Love dissolves everything that is not its image and likeness including beliefs about imperfections, lack and death. In fact, that is what the spiritual path means for me, letting the True Self/Love express as my body and all my affairs.

I got off the bus and waited for my next bus. There was one woman at the bus stop. I said hello. I noticed there were lots of people walking down the road. I presumed there had been a football match at the local stadium. It was also drizzling at the time. My friend muttered something about the rain dampening her spirit.

"Awww, it's not that bad," I patted her arm.

"I don't mean me, nothing dampens my spirit as I trust in God," she said. "I was talking about the football fans who make football their God. Their spirits must be dampened after the match."

"Who was Tottenham playing tonight?"

"Their archrival."

"Who?"

"Arsenal."

"Oh, I see. Who won?"

"Tottenham won, 5-1."

"Blimey, they got trounced. I bet Arsenal fans are none too pleased."

"I've seen lots of police vans and ambulances driving down the road. They were probably having riots after."

"Serious business."

"Exactly. That's why instead of getting the bus down the High Road I'm travelling another route. If I had known there was this football match I wouldn't have come."

"But surely if you trust in God, you know God will take care of you, fans or no fans."

"I'm carrying this suitcase and this route is easier," she said. "I know God is looking after me. I only need to call on Jesus and I feel his power. One time I was in a phone box and this young lad just opened the door and I didn't know what he wanted from me. I said "Jesus" and gave him one look and the power of God sent him flying. The boy ran like a bat out of hell."

"Wow, now that's power! It reminds me of the passage in Psalm 91: 9-10. 'Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.' That power was protecting you."

"That's a very powerful Psalm of protection, you know," my friend said. "I read it every morning. I heard about this soldier who used it when he was in the war and he was protected."

"I've heard of that story. I have memorised it the Psalm as well."

I shared my friend's experience about how he felt better when he was in his friends' house and fell sick again after he left their place. I said I was going to write about his experience and I was so glad to have spoken to her.

"See how the Holy Spirit works?" my friend said. "God's confirming what your friend said is true. If I had taken the other bus I wouldn't be standing at this bus stop and we wouldn't have met."

"Yes, it's amazing how things work out. I'm so happy to have met you. Thank you."

By this time my bus was approaching the bus stop so we hastily said our goodbyes. As the bus moved away I waved to my friend.

On the bus I heard two guys discussing the football match. They were Arsenal fans and they looked really miserable.

"Never mind," I said. "I'm sure Arsenal will play better next time."

Later when I shared the evening's event with my mother, she agreed that Psalm 91 was very powerful. She said ever since she recommended it to her older brother (my uncle) he's been using it every day, even though he's a practising Muslim.

My body is God's holy temple.
I live and have my being in Love.

Enocia

Related articles: Echoes of Yesterday; I'm Just a Love Machine; My Beloved; The Power of Prayer; Circle of Influence; The Chapel; House Makeover

Following are two versions of Psalm 91. I prefer the King James version that I've memorised.

1: He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2: I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3: Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4: He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5: Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6: Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7: A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8: Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9: Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10: There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11: For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

12: They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

13: Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

14: Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15: He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16: With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
Psalm 91, King James Version

*****************************************

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 They say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, "The LORD is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling,

10 no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you o guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because they love me," says the LORD, "I will rescue them; I will protect them, for they acknowledge my name.

15 They will call on me, and I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will deliver them and honor them.

16 With long life I will satisfy them and show them my salvation."
Psalm 91, New International Version