Wednesday, 16 January 2008

What Are You Like?

So I was having a conversation with my mother.

"Do you realise you use the word "like" when you speak?" she said

"Do I? I wasn't, like, aware I was doing it," I said.

"You've done it again!"

"Sorry, mum. At least, like, now I can be more aware when I speak."

"It's the American influence. It really gets on my nerves when I hear people diluting the English language. It's bad enough that there are so many colloquialisms already. Why can't people speak English properly?"

"You have a point, mum."

Now that it has been brought to my awareness, I can like, hear people, like, speaking using that word all the time. Take, like, my bus journey last night. I heard this man and woman speaking and they were, like, using "like" a lot. I guess, like, the word "like" is the equivalent of punctuating your sentences with "you know what I mean" or "right" or "yeah" or "OK".

I do, like, believe it's an American influence. We have so many American films and TV shows these days that you'd think we were, like, living in the States. The British gave Americans the English language and what did Americans give us in return? The word "like."

What are you like?

I'm going to do my utmost to, like, speak without, like, using that dreaded word. In fact, I'm going to make it my new year's resolution (even though I don't believe in making resolutions) to speak proper English like.

Thank you, mum, for making me want to be a better English speaker. I'm, like, so grateful to you as always.

Enocia

Related articles: Bellissimo!; Speed Reading; New Year's Resolution and Perfection; A Dedication to My Mother