Tuesday, 19 February 2008

As Light as a Feather

As more and more people are realising their spiritual nature, there are all these fine and wonderful ideas being shared in books, on the Internet, and floating in the ether. How come people are still experiencing fear? Is it possible the ideas are stuck in the ether i.e. subconscious and not being released into the conscious mind?

As I see it, as long as life seems to be working perfectly, there's no incentive to live out these principles; until there is an emergency situation when you really get to demonstrate whether you are truly a spiritual being or blowing hot air.

My mother shared the following story she'd read from Praying and Getting Results by Bob Gass. This woman was about to be mugged by a gang and she was terrified. She tried to recall a Bible passage to help her, but the only word that came to mind was "feathers." So she started yelling "feathers!" The men ran away from her because they thought she was mad.

The actual line the woman had been trying to recall was:

"He [God] shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler." Psalm 91: 4

I wasn't surprised that word worked for the woman; the fact that she remembered the word activated the power of that prayer, which was able to ward off the attack.

A few years back I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a hand around my throat. Although there was no one physically present, the hand felt very real and was trying to throttle me. For an instant I went into a panic and fought off the "attacker" but I wasn't strong enough, then I remembered the following words:

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil." Psalm 23: 4

The moment I thought those words, the hand left my throat and I could breathe easily again. Before I went to sleep I recited the whole prayer as protection; I didn't want my friendly strangler finishing what he'd started.

Even though I no longer follow any religious or spiritual disciplines, prayer is still a very important aspect of my life. I don't use prayers as protection but as constant reminders that, despite appearances to the contrary, love is all there is. Then I expect to experience life as light as a feather.

Enocia

Related articles: The Hand; No Judgment; Why Opposites Do Not Attract; My Choir of Angels - Part 2; Living Under Grace; The Power of Prayer; Practical Spirituality; Nice Words and So What?