Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Ascending to Higher Altitudes

In Richard Bach's book, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, a seagull discovers he can fly at a very high altitudes at great speed, challenging what is expected of a seagull. Jonathan is so elated he shares his "breakthrough" with the other seagulls but they are not interested; they're too content with their rules and dogma that keep them stuck in their position. They even accuse Jonathan of bringing shame to the other seagulls. Jonathan Seagull, now an outcast, realises that he has to continue his discovery on his own, which he does. One day he's approached by another flock of seagulls who describe themselves as his "brothers." They tell him they've come to teach him how to climb even higher and to take him book. The book follows Jonathan's journey to achieve higher altitudes and how he eventually returns to share his knowledge with the few seagulls who are ready to fly higher.

I find I can relate to this story. As I see it, there is always more things for me to discover about my Self. In fact, every day is a new adventure. There's nothing more stifling than being with people who believe everyone has to move at the same pace. There comes a time when one has to break away so one can fly to even higher altitudes without distraction from those who are too frightened to disturb the status quo.

Incidentally, yesterday evening I saw a friend at the bookshop. We met for the first time a few weeks back. After she emailed me and I responded, I didn't hear from her again. I'd been wondering how she was and I even thought about her yesterday. She said she hadn't checked her emails for a while and hadn't read my message.

My friend, who is 25 years old, was such a joy to chat to as she's very enthusiastic and open. She said as a child she was constantly questioning why things were the way they were and why people didn't want to explore who they truly are. She said since she left South America she hasn't missed her family because she's having a ball discovering who she is. She knows exactly who she is, what her contribution to humanity is, and how to fulfil it.

My friend asked me why majority of people weren't interested in being true to themselves. She believed it had something to do with people being old or young souls. Young souls don't tend to be interested in discovering who they really are. I told her I didn't believe in old or young souls as we are all equal. I said it's more to do with people's motivation, whether they are prepared to follow their truth even if it challenges what society believes. Most people are too happy to follow others, trying to model themselves on others, than to be true to themselves.

I could see that my friend was another Jonathan Livingstone Seagull who wanted to be more and she was attracting people and situations that will help her fly even higher. The first time we met we discussed her dream to become a life coach. I asked her if she'd heard of NLP, a "a powerful body of information about how the human mind works." After our first meeting, she did some research and found she was drawn to it and now wants to pursue that path. In my last email, I sent her some information about NLP.

Back to me, as it's always about me, I find it's time to disconnect from seekers of truth who are coasting at a certain altitude and go it alone so I can fly to even higher attitudes where no other seagulls have gone before. I will no doubt meet other seagulls who share my desire to climb higher and we may even fly together for a while. There will always be higher and higher attitudes to explore. That, for me, is what makes life worth living.

Love to all Jonathan Livingston Seagulls.

Enocia

Related articles: Predicting the Future; Tuning into the Love Station - Revisited; Living in My Head; Satisfaction; Are You a Gutless Wonder?; If You Feel the Urge to Fly, then Fly You Must