Wednesday, 6 February 2008

The Game of 'Let's Pretend' - Revisited

A friend was telling me the other day that she'd been thinking of a friend but she had lost his number and desperately wanted to get in contact. She said even if she had his number, she had run out of credit on her mobile anyway. So she took out her mobile and pretended she was dialling his number and speaking to him. Soon after, her friend called her "for real" and they had a chat.

Speaking of which, the other day I pretended to meet someone who handed me some cash. That didn't happen but the next day my mother gave me some money.

As a child I used to love playing the game of "let's pretend." Now I'm an adult, I still love playing that game. Right now I'm pretending I'm a woman sitting in front of a computer screen typing out this piece; and you are pretending you are reading this piece.

There are many different variations of this game. The most popular versions are let's pretend we don't know each other; let's pretend I don't love you; let's pretend we are all separate. Londoners are excellent at this game.

I'm now going to pretend I'm going away even though we're never apart.

It's been fun playing with you all.

Enocia

Related articles: Everyone's a Winner!; One Dreamer, Many Players; All is One - A Reminder; It's All Done and Dusted; I Love London; The Game of Hide and Seek; The Game of Let's Pretend