Monday, 25 February 2008

Golden Moments

While I was queuing in the supermarket checkout, I noticed the woman in front of me had this beautiful coat with black and white patterns. I wondered what it felt like. I told her I loved her coat. She smiled and thanked me. I thought she had such a wonderful smile, which not only lit up her whole face, it lit up the whole of London. No exaggeration! I asked her if I could feel her coat and she let me. It felt like velvet. She flashed me her brilliant smile again and it gave me the sweetest feeling, just like the Jackie Wilson song:

When you turn on your smile
I feel my heart go wild
I'm like a child with a brand new toy
Sweetest Feeling, lyrics

While she was packing her shopping we made small talk and had a giggle and then wished each other a good evening. I passed on the good feeling to the cashier who also had a lovely smile.

I then went to catch my bus. When it arrived, I went upstairs. A woman and her son were climbing the stairs ahead of me. The boy was only about three or four years gold so he was taking his time. They sat right in front. For some reason I decided to sit behind them. When the bus started moving the boy stood up which nearly sent him flying. His mother told him to sit down but the boy didn't want to sit down. His mother forced him on the seat. The boy took out his toys and he hit it hard against the window. His mother told him to be quiet. It seemed to me that the more she told him not to do something the more he insisted on doing it. His mother was literally pulling her hair out. I thought both of them could do with some peace, so in thought I blessed them with Peace.

After a few minutes I said to her, "Your son is a bit of a handful."

"He's been like this since this morning," she said.

To her son she said, "Why can't you sit still and be quiet? You are killing me!"

"Are you being a naughty boy for your mummy?" I ruffled his hair and gave him a mock glare.

He shook his head.

I heard his mother whispering to him that his behaviour had attracted my attention. He looked bashful and then went quiet. After a few minutes he was playing with his toys.

"Hey you!" I said to the boy. "Are you having fun with your toys?"

He smiled shyly at me.

"What's your name?"

"Go on, tell Aunty your name," his mother said.

He told me. (Sorry can't recall what it is now).

"What are those toys?" I said.

"These are my doggies."

"Can I have a look?"

There were two dogs; one was made of wood and the other of some soft material.

"Oh I see you have a big doggie and a little doggie."

"Yes."

I ruffled his hair again. He was a cute kid.

His attention was drawn to the television on the bus. Yes, a few buses in London do have TV screens which show adverts and entertainment news. It's not enough that there are adverts on television, at the cinemas and everywhere you go, we need to be bombarded with more information during our bus journeys. Having said that, I do appreciate adverts as an art form.

Anyway, the boy pointed out pictures on the screen to his mother and he and his mother watched the adverts. Her mother was now very relaxed and smiling. She looked very pretty when she smiled. Before I got off I wished both of them well.

On my next bus home a man sat opposite me. He looked very sad, as if he had the whole world on his shoulder. In thought I wished him peace. After he got off a man in his mid-twenties got on. He spoke to a man and woman but they ignored him. He then sat in front of me. I noticed he was carrying a can of beer. He introduced himself and asked me what my name was. He said he liked me. He started speaking but he had such a thick Polish accent I couldn't quite follow him. I realised that it didn't matter whether I understood him or not, all he wanted was for someone to be there for him. So I listened with my heart. As I listened I found I could understand him. He talked about the way he was being treated at work, he talked about his friends who were unhappy in their relationships, he talked about how harsh life in London was. As my stop was approaching I wished him well but he said he was getting off at that stop.

After we got off, he thanked me for listening to him and said I was very nice. He kissed my cheek and my hand. He also said I was very magnetic. He wanted to talk some more so I listened for a few minutes then told him I had to walk to get to my bus stop and catch my last bus home. When I got on my bus I heard someone calling me. It was the same guy. He said he couldn't say goodbye and wanted to travel with me, even though he was going in a different direction from where he lived. So we sat side by side and I let him hold my hand while he chatted some more. He offered me a sip of his beer but I declined as I can't stand beer. At the last stop I said goodbye. He wanted to walk me home. I told him there was no need and wished him all the best.

By the way, the name of my Polish friend on the bus was Adam. How ironic! I wonder if he was the Adam who got chucked out of the Garden of Eden? ;-)

Life is filled to the brim with golden moments.

Enocia

Related articles: Long Live the King!; Little Acts of Kindness Last Forever; Naughty Boy!