Saturday, 23 February 2008

Long Live the King!

In a previous article called Inspiration I wrote:

"For me, inspiration is the raising of my frequency from the level where life is a grind to that of joy, wonder and effortless living. If I want to experience a life filled with joy and wonder, I have to be constantly inspired."

Last night I watched American Idol the annual singing contest. One contestant who was voted off had performed the Elvis Presley classic, "Suspicious Minds." I thought he gave a very good performance. That song takes me on a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Years ago on my way to Australia, I spent a few days with a friend in Bangkok. On my way to Australia, I caught a taxi to the airport. I ended up sharing the taxi with another passenger. I told the taxi driver I didn't have much time and didn't want to miss my flight. The passenger asked the driver to take me to the airport first. The driver nodded, which I presumed meant he was in agreement. Instead the taxi driver dropped the passenger off at his hotel first. By then I was panicking as I didn't want to miss my flight. I was also furious at the driver. I told him what I thought of his decision but he simply smiled and pretended he couldn't understand English.

On our way to the airport I was in the biggest sulk ever. I kept scowling at the driver through his mirror and he kept grinning back at me. Then he put on a tape/CD of Elvis Presley's greatest hits and sang along to them. For someone who didn't speak English he was doing a fine Elvis impression. This pissed me off even more. After a while I decided there was nothing I could do about the situation so I might as well relax and enjoy the journey. So I joined my friend in his karaoke performance. At the time the song was "Suspicious Minds."

We're caught in a trap
I can't walk out
Because I love you too much baby

Why can't you see
What you're doin' to me
When you don't believe a word I say?

We can't go on together
With suspicious minds (Suspicious minds)
And we can't build our dreams
On suspicious minds
Suspicious Minds, lyrics

All the resentment I had built up melted away and we had such a laugh singing to Elvis. The taxi driver and I parted as friends.

When I arrived at the airport, I still didn't have much time to spare. The check-in queue was about a mile long. I reckon I must have been the only passenger on that flight who hadn't yet checked in. I mentioned this to a passenger ahead of me and she told me to jump the queue. She even pushed my trolley forward and announced to everyone that I needed to be in front of the queue. When I went to pay for airport tax the passengers let me jump the queue again. I was so grateful to all the passengers.

I believe that "miracle" could not have happened if I'd stayed in a bad mood. It was only when my mood was lifted that people were open to love me in return.

Long live the undisputed King of Rock 'n' Roll! I love you forever.

Enocia

Related articles: Inspiration; Smile; Love Dissolves Grudges