Tuesday, 5 February 2008

One Life

I watched a documentary on television recently called A Boy Called Alex about a teenager with cystic fibrosis. As Alex is living in a reality that believes there is no cure, he has to take different drugs to keep him going. Alex will not let anything stop him from conducting Bach's "Magnificat." According to Alex:

"Music makes me forget about where I am or what state I am in or what's happening to my lungs. Music is my hope. It's everything."

The documentary follows his journey at Eton College, the many relapses he has, how he's literally been fed drugs, and how he finally achieves his goal.

Alex's illness has proved to be a blessing in disguise. If he wasn't ill, he would have had to study other subjects and not so focused on music. When you know you've got little or no time, you can focus only on what you love the most. Alex can only afford to focus the little time he has left on what gives him joy; and his family and Eton College are supporting him all the way. At the end of the documentary, we learn that Alex has been granted a choral scholarships to Cambridge and been offered a place at the Royal Academy of Music in London.

I found that documentary very inspiring. Like Alex, I've got no time to mess about. I haven't got time to be discussing lofty ideas; I haven't got time to be studying someone else's ideas; I haven't got time to follow anyone; and reincarnation is not an option.

I've only got this one opportunity to live life, as I know how to live it, now.

Care to join me?

Enocia

Related articles: Ascending to Higher Altitudes; Cut to the Chase; Are We There Yet?; Immortality; Destination Nowhere