Monday, 10 March 2008

Timing

During an email exchange I had with an American friend recently, I mentioned a British comedy I used to love called 'Allo 'Allo, which is set in a French cafe during World War II. The comedy takes the Mickey out of the Gestapos, the Italians, the English and the French. It was hilarious!

I've just read in today's Metro that 'Allo 'Allo is being broadcast in Germany for the first time. It got me thinking about timing.

I happen to be a huge fan of comedy, well my kind of humour. From what I've observed, comedy has a lot to do with timing. The way the comedy material is delivered has to be spot on otherwise the humour won't work.

Timing also has to do with demand for a particular comedy. If the audience is not open to that kind of humour, then this means the timing is simply not right. I believe the reason why 'Allo 'Allo was so successful in the UK was because it was produced during the backlash against 1980s political correctness. People were sick of being told what to say and think and this comedy was simply perfect.

I find there are some comedies that work well in their time but when I watch them again they just seem dull and ordinary. There are only a few comedies that make me laugh time and time again.

It seems to me that the media bosses have decided the time is now right for this comedy to be broadcast in Germany. Whether the humour goes down well remains to be seen.

Life is like a comedy. The timing has to be perfect otherwise it's not going to go down too well.

Enocia

Related articles: Timing - Part 2; What is Luck?; Black Comedy; Canned Laughter